Prerequisites: Range® Meat Clerk Certificate
Earn Range® Meat Cutter Gate to Plate badges by completing the Gate to Plate course, participating in course activities.
- The student will learn about the different types of cattle (Bos Taurus, Bos Indicus).
- The student will learn about the different types of beef (Halal, Kosher, Organic, Natural, Antibiotic -free).
- The student will understand the difference between grass-finished, grain-finished and pasture- raised.
- The student will learn the 12 steps from gate to plate (cattle grazing to customer ).
- The student will understand how a cow is split into 2 sides, each with a hindquarter and a forequarter.
- The student will identify the 4 major primals and the 4 minor primals of the cow.
- The student will become familiar with beef primal yield percentages and their importance in maximizing retail sales value.
- The student will understand IMPS (Institutional Meat Purchase Specifications) of the subprimals and how they facilitate industry trade and clarification.
- The student will become familiar with the location of key bones and joints in order to successfully primal large quarters of beef.
Course Activities & Aids
- Diagrams, Charts and Study Aids
- Interactive Icons
- 1 Competency Badge
- Knowledge Check Questions to reinforce learnings
Author: Kari Underly
Photo Credits: © Range® Inc., © The Beef Checkoff, © American Lamb Board, © Jennifer Marx Photography, © Certified Angus Beef, © Adobe Stock Art