Prerequisites: Gate to Plate Lesson
Earn Range® Meat Cutter Forequarter and Hindquarter competency badges by completing the Forequarter and Hindquarter course, participating in course activities and passing required course assessments.
- The student will learn the separation points used to break a side of beef into a Forequarter and a Hindquarter.
- The student will be able to visually identify the primals of the forequarter and hindquarter.
- The student will be able to identify the distinctive features of the forequarter and the hindquarter.
- The student will be able to identify the key bones and landmarks to process the Forequarter and the hHndquarter.
- The student will learn to score and break the Forequarter into its 4 major primals.
- The student will learn to score and break the Hindquarter into its 3 major primals.
- The student will understand the five beef yield grades and how they are assigned.
- The student will learn valuable merchant and cutter details for merchandising the Forequarter and the Hindquarter.
Course Activities & Aids
- 20 Knowledge Check Questions – throughout lesson to reinforce learnings
- 7 Instructional Cutting Videos with Kari Underly
- Cut Steps and Cutting Descriptions to support videos
- Interactive Icons and Charts, Drag & Drop
- Cutter and Merchant Details for the Forequarter and Hindquarter
- Cut Charts & Study Aids
- 2 Competency Badges
- Twenty-item Random Question Quiz after completing the Gate-to-Plate and Forequarter and Hindquarter Lessons. Must pass with 80% accuracy.
Author: Kari Underly
Photo Credits: © Range® Inc., © The Beef Checkoff, © Jennifer Marx Photography, © Adobe Stock Art