Prerequisite: Beef Rib Primal Lesson
Earn Range® Meat Cutter Beef Loin competency badges by completing the Beef Loin Primal Meat Cutter course, participating in course activities and passing required course assessments.
- The student will be able to identify the location and describe the features of the Loin primal and subprimals.
- The student will learn basic cutting methods and techniques for the Loin primal, subprimals and retail cuts.
- The student will learn the yield contribution of the Loin to the beef carcass, and the importance of these data in understanding the value of the primal and subprimals.
- The student will identify the key bones of the Loin primal and understand how to use these landmarks to make the correct cuts.
- The student will become familiar with the IMPS numbers of the Loin subprimals.
- The student will become familiar with the Latin muscle names of the Loin retail cuts.
- The student will learn about unique purchasing features of the loin such as yield grade and tail length
- The student will learn the importance of steak thickness and trim thickness.
- The student will understand the merchandising options available when cutting the Loin primal and subprimals.
- The student will learn to cut the Loin primal into its subprimals and retail cuts.
Course Activities & Aids
- 10 Knowledge Check Questions – throughout lesson to support learnings
- 6 Instructional Cutting Videos with Kari Underly
- Cut Steps and Cutting Descriptions to support the video
- Interactive Icons and Charts, Drag & Drop
- Cutter and Merchant Details for Loin Subprimals
- Cut Charts & Study Aids
- 8 Competency Badges
- Ten-item Random Question Loin Quiz – Must pass with 80% accuracy.
- Ten-item Random Question Top Loin & Tenderloin Quiz – Must pass with 80% accuracy.
Author: Kari Underly
Photo Credits: © Range® Inc., © The Beef Checkoff, © Jennifer Marx Photography, © Adobe Stock Art