Prerequisite: Beef Loin Primal Lesson
Earn Range® Meat Cutter Beef Sirloin competency badges by completing the Beef Sirloin Meat Cutter course, participating in course activities and passing required course assessments.
- The student will be able to identify the location and describe the features of the Sirloin subprimals.
- The student will learn basic cutting methods and techniques for the Sirloin subprimals and retail cuts.
- The student will learn the yield contribution of the Sirloin subprimals to the loin primal and the importance of these data in understanding the value of these cuts.
- The student will identify the key bones of the Sirloin subprimals and understand how to use these landmarks to make the correct cuts.
- The student will become familiar with the IMPS numbers of the Sirloin subprimals.
- The student will become familiar with the Latin muscle names of the Sirloin retail cuts.
- The student will learn how and when to use the denuding cutting technique.
- The student will understand the merchandising options available when cutting the Sirloin subprimals.
- The student will learn to cut the Sirloin subprimals into retail cuts.
Course Activities & Aids
- 10 Knowledge Check Questions – throughout lesson to support learnings
- 6 Instructional Cutting Videos with Kari Underly
- Cut Steps and Cutting Descriptions to support videos
- Interactive Icons and Charts, Drag & Drop
- Cutter and Merchant Details for Sirloin Subprimals
- Cut Charts & Study Aids
- 8 Competency Badges
- Ten-item Random Question Sirloin Quiz – Must pass with 80% accuracy.
- Ten-item Random Question Top Sirloin Quiz – Must pass with 80% accuracy.
- Ten-item Random Question Bottom Sirloin Quiz – Must pass with 80% accuracy.
Author: Kari Underly
Photo Credits: © Range® Inc., © The Beef Checkoff, © Jennifer Marx Photography, © Adobe Stock Art