Prerequisite: Beef Chuck Primal Lesson
Earn Range® Meat Cutter Beef Rib Primal competency badges by completing the Beef Rib Primal Meat Cutter course, participating in course activities and passing required course assessments.
- The student will be able to identify the location and describe the features of the Rib primal and subprimals.
- The student will learn basic cutting methods and techniques for the Rib primal, subprimals and retail cuts.
- The student will learn the yield contribution of the Rib to the beef carcass, and the importance of these data in understanding the value of the primal and subprimals.
- The student will identify the key bones of the Rib primal and understand how to use these landmarks to make the correct cuts.
- The student will become familiar with the IMPS numbers of the Rib subprimals.
- The student will become familiar with the Latin muscle names of the Rib retail cuts.
- The student will learn how a carcass is graded, what the grades indicate, and how these grades are used to market beef.
- The student will understand the merchandising options available when cutting the Rib primal and subprimals.
- The student will learn to cut the Rib primal into its subprimals and retail cuts.
Course Activities & Aids
- 10 Knowledge Check Questions – throughout lesson to support learnings
- 3 Instructional Cutting Videos with Kari Underly
- Cut Steps and Cutting Descriptions to support the video
- Interactive Icons and Charts, Drag & Drop
- Cutter and Merchant Details for Rib Subprimals
- Cut Charts & Study Aids
- 8 Competency Badges
- Ten-item Random Question Rib Quiz – Must pass with 80% accuracy.
Author: Kari Underly
Photo Credits: © Range® Inc., © The Beef Checkoff, © Jennifer Marx Photography, © Adobe Stock Art