Earn Range® Meat Cutter Raising Hogs badges by completing the Raising Hog course and participating in course activities.
- The student will learn about important aspects of hog production and pork consumption in the U.S. and around the world.
- The student will understand the terminology and definitions associated with hogs.
- The student will learn how hogs are raised.
- The student will learn about the characteristics and benefits of the various practices used in raising hogs.
- The student will identify the 4 pork primals.
- The student will become familiar with hog anatomy and understand the yield contribution of each of the pork primals.
- The student will learn about consumer labeling definitions relating to hormones, antibiotics and organic.
- The student will be introduced to heritage breed hogs.
- The student will be introduced to the pork primal break points.
Course Activities & Aids
- 2 Instructional Cutting Videos with Kari Underly
- Diagrams, Charts and Study Aids
- Drag & Drop Activity
- Interactive Icons
- Competency Badges
- Knowledge Check Questions to reinforce learnings
- 5 Random-Question Quiz at the end of the Course (must pass with 80%)
Author: Kari Underly
Photo Credits: © Range® Inc., © Pork Board, © Jennifer Marx Photography, © Adobe Stock Art