Prequistite: Raising Hogs Lesson
Earn Range® Meat Cutter Pork Shoulder competency badges by completing the Pork Shoulder Primal Meat Cutter course, watching videos and participating in course activities.
- The student will identify the location of the pork shoulder primal and understand the key features.
- The student will learn the pork shoulder primal yield contribution.
- The student will identify the key bones and glands of the pork shoulder primal, and understand how to use these landmarks to make the correct cuts.
- The student will learn basic cutting methods and techniques to cut the pork shoulder primal using either a handsaw or a bandsaw.
- The student will learn how to safely use a bandsaw including how to use the guide plate and pusher plate.
- The student will learn how to cut the popular cuts from the pork shoulder using the proper tools.
- The student will learn how to debone the pork shoulder into retail cuts using the proper tools.
- The student will learn merchant tips helpful in marketing, displaying and promoting the pork shoulder.
- The student will become familiar with the IMPS and UPC numbers.
- The student will become familiar with the Latin names for the pork shoulder retail cuts.
- The student will learn how to make pork sausage in several forms.
- The student will learn how to add value to the pork shoulder through muscle separation.
- The student will become familiar with popular types of charcuterie and salumi.
Course Activities & Aids
- 7 Instructional Cutting Videos with Kari Underly
- Cut Steps and Merchant Tips to support the videos
- Interactive Icons and Charts
- Cut Charts & Study Aids
- 9 Competency Badges
- Knowledge Check Questions – throughout lesson to support pork shoulder learnings and prepare for Final Pork Quiz
- Fifteen-item Random Question Final Pork Quiz after completing the Pork Shoulder Lesson and reviewing the Study Aids – Must pass with 80% accuracy.
Author: Kari Underly
Photo Credits: © Range® Inc., © The Pork Board, © Jennifer Marx Photography, © Adobe Stock Art