Prequistite: Pork Shoulder Primal Lesson
Earn Range® Meat Cutter Pork Loin Primal competency badges by completing the Pork Loin Primal Meat Cutter course, watching videos and participating in course activities.
- The student will identify the location of the Pork Loin Primal and understand the key features.
- The student will learn about the yield contribution of the Pork Loin Primal.
- The student will identify the key bones of the Pork Loin Primal and understand how to use these landmarks to make the correct cuts.
- The student will learn basic cutting methods and techniques to cut the Pork Loin Primal into roasts and chops.
- The student will learn how to cut the popular retail cuts from the Pork Loin Primal using the proper tools.
- The student will learn how to debone the Pork Loin into a boneless loin and tenderloin.
- The student will learn merchant tips helpful in marketing and promoting the Pork Loin retail cuts.
- The student will become familiar with the Pork IMPS and UPC numbers.
- The student will become familiar with the Latin names for the Pork Loin retail cuts.
- The student will become familiar with popular curing cuts from the Pork Loin.
Course Activities & Aids
- 4 Instructional Cutting Videos with Kari Underly
- Cut Steps and Merchant Tips to support the videos
- Interactive Icons and Charts
- Tools Guide
- Cut Charts & Study Aids
- 8 Competency Badges
- Knowledge Check Questions – throughout lesson to support Pork primal learnings and prepare for the Pork Loin Primal Course Quiz
- Ten-item Random Question Pork Loin Primal Quiz after completing the Pork Loin Primal lesson and viewing all Study Aids. Must pass with 80% accuracy.
Author: Kari Underly
Photo Credits: © Range® Inc., © The Pork Board, © Jennifer Marx Photography, © Adobe Stock Art